10 People Charged in Auto Theft Ring | Crime
The Ramsey County attorney says a three-month investigation by St. Paul police into an auto theft ring has resulted in charges against 10 people.
Police say the 10 stole 50 vehicles between January and June and sold them for scrap metal. Officer John Keating says metal from one vehicle alone can generate $300 to $350.
Those charged include 32-year-old Michael Thomas O’Brien; 30-year-old Gerald Edward O’Brien; 47-year-old Jeffrey Michael Smith; 28-year-old Matthew Bruce Williams; 40-year-old Lionel Warner; 33-year-old Brandon Carl Heinl; 48-year-old Julie Katherine Rubbelke; 45-year-old Gary John Gomez; 45-year-old Hugo Velasquez; and 23-year-old Hugo Velasquez-Guzman.
Ramsey County Attorney John Choi is urging state legislators to improve the regulation of the scrap metal industry. Choi recommends the state require title or proof of ownership before cars can be sold for scrap.
He also suggests a 30-day waiting period before cars can be salvaged.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Burglars Climb through Ceiling, Cut Walls to Steal from Waconia Verizon Store
- Sheriff: St. Bonifacius Man Linked to String of Carver Co. Burglaries
- Volunteers Needed to Beautify Spiral Bridge in South St. Paul
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Apple Valley Man Charged with Stealing $113k from his own Youth Sports Association
- Finance Manager Accused of Stealing $113K from Rosemount Area Athletic Association
- Twin Cities Premium Outlets Announces 30 New Stores Ahead of Opening
- Woman Run Over in City of Minnetonka Beach Dies, 1 Arrested
- Traffic Backed Up on I-94 West after Semi Carrying Cheese Rolls Over in Monticello
- Man Killed in N. Mpls. Shooting after Bus Fight, 1 Arrested
- 2 Men in Custody After Reported Robbery at Maple Grove CVS
- Most Wake Restrictions to be Lifted Friday on Lake Minnetonka