Four NDSU Students From Twin Cities Killed in Snowy Crash | News
Four women from the Twin Cities were killed in a crash on I-94 near Alexandria Monday afternoon. The women were freshman at North Dakota State University. Three of the women were roommates.
The Minnesota State Patrol says 18-year-old Lauren Peterson of Prior Lake, 19-year-old Jordan Playle of Elk River, 18-year-old Megan Sample of Rogers, and 18-year-old Danielle Renninger of Excelsior died when they lost control of their car and went through the median into oncoming traffic.
Peterson was driving, and roads were slippery at the time of the crash. Authorities say all of the women were wearing seat belts, and no alcohol was detected.
Two other vehicles were involved in the crash. The people in those vehicles sustained non-life threatening injuries.
5 EYEWITNESS NEWS found Facebook pages and Twitter feeds for the women who were clearly loved by so many people.
A friend wrote on Peterson's Facebook page, "Prior Lake is missing a part of its heart and soul. You were one of the most fun and carefree people to be around."
A friend wrote on Sample's Facebook page, "You brought so much light into this world. It's so sad that you left so soon. You will be dearly missed."
The family of Jordan Playle released a statement Tuesday afternoon saying:
"We would like to express our deepest condolences to the other families involved in this tragedy. We will miss our little girl. Jordan approached life with great joy and happiness. She loved life, and brought the best out in the people around her. Jordan enjoyed meeting other people and valued the differences in everyone. No one could have had a better daughter, sister, or friend! We thank you for your continued prayers and support during this difficult time. We ask the media to respect our privacy."
There are grief counselors at all of the women's former high schools and at North Dakota State University to help any students coping with this loss.
Additional details have not been released.
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Firefighters Battle Blaze at Tire Business in South St. Paul
- Volunteers Needed to Beautify Spiral Bridge in South St. Paul
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Apple Valley Man Charged with Stealing $113k from his own Youth Sports Association
- Finance Manager Accused of Stealing $113K from Rosemount Area Athletic Association
- Commission Upholds Firing of 2 Mpls. Cops after 2013 Green Bay Incident
- Charity Golf Tournament in Maple Grove Giving Away BMW
- Minneapolis City Leaders Appeal for Calm after Arrest of Activist Al Flowers
- Cyclists, Walkers Take over Part of Central Ave. During 'Open Streets' Event
- Man Shot to Death after Argument on Mpls. Bus Identified