Minn. Legislature Taps Devine for University Board | News
The Minnesota Legislature has selected an insurance agency owner to serve on the University of Minnesota Board of Regents.
Thomas Devine was elected a regent Wednesday night during a joint House-Senate convention.
He replaces Steve Sviggum, who resigned his seat on the board when concerns were raised about his full-time job conflicting with the appointed role. Sviggum, a former state lawmaker, is chief spokesman for the Minnesota Senate Republican caucus.
The 12-member board sets policy and budgets for the four-campus university. Members are not paid.
Devine lives in Chanhassen. He co-owns the David Agency in Edina and is a university graduate.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AAA Report Shows Decline in Gas Prices from 2013
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Mendota Heights Officer Patrick Remembered for Kindness, Devotion to Job
- Memorial for Fallen Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick Continues to Grow
- Suspect Arrested, Charged in Northfield Armed Robbery and Shooting
- Community Members Gather to Honor Mendota Heights Officer
- Reporter's Notebook: Tragic Shooting of Mendota Heights Police Officer
- Medical Pot Backers Hope to Speed Task Force Work
- U of M Jumps 435 Spots on FORBES America's Best College List
- Eden Prairie Man Sentenced for Drunk Driving Crash that Killed Nephew
- New, Inclusive Playground Opens at Minnehaha Regional Park
- Abbott Dedicates Spot for Book St. Paul Man Dying of Cancer Wrote to Sons