Minn. Legislature Taps Devine for University Board | News
The Minnesota Legislature has selected an insurance agency owner to serve on the University of Minnesota Board of Regents.
Thomas Devine was elected a regent Wednesday night during a joint House-Senate convention.
He replaces Steve Sviggum, who resigned his seat on the board when concerns were raised about his full-time job conflicting with the appointed role. Sviggum, a former state lawmaker, is chief spokesman for the Minnesota Senate Republican caucus.
The 12-member board sets policy and budgets for the four-campus university. Members are not paid.
Devine lives in Chanhassen. He co-owns the David Agency in Edina and is a university graduate.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Burglars Climb through Ceiling, Cut Walls to Steal from Waconia Verizon Store
- Sheriff: St. Bonifacius Man Linked to String of Carver Co. Burglaries
- Most Minnesota Crop Conditions Improve
- Twin Cities Premium Outlets Announces 30 New Stores Ahead of Opening
- Future of the Mississippi River is up for Debate
- Fire Damages Roof of Inver Grove Heights Elementary School
- Man Leads Police on High Speed Chase on Rosemount Police Training Track
- Man Arrested Months after Woman's Body Found in Dakota County Woods