Ramsey Co. Pilot Project Puts Stalkers on GPS | News
Authorities in Ramsey County are using GPS technology to help monitor the whereabouts of alleged stalkers, and help keep their victims safe.
Officials are launching a pilot project Thursday. Defendants and victims who volunteer for the program will each wear a device as a condition of a defendant's pretrial release. When a defendant gets too close to his or her victim, a warning will sound.
Officials say the goal is to ensure victim safety, as well as make sure a defendant complies with any no contact orders.
The most dangerous offenders would not be eligible for this program.
Authorities say it is targeted toward defendants who are of a medium risk, but who would not necessarily qualify for high bail conditions that would keep them in jail.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New U of M Study Links using a Doula and Reduction in C-Sections
- Motorcyclist Identified in Deadly Crash near Mall of America
- West St. Paul Church Holds Garage Sale to Benefit Charities
- FEMA Rejects Dakota Co. for Disaster Declaration<br />
- Burnsville Woman Accused of Cutting Brother with Knives over Wi-Fi Connection