Ramsey Co. Pilot Project Puts Stalkers on GPS | News
Authorities in Ramsey County are using GPS technology to help monitor the whereabouts of alleged stalkers, and help keep their victims safe.
Officials are launching a pilot project Thursday. Defendants and victims who volunteer for the program will each wear a device as a condition of a defendant's pretrial release. When a defendant gets too close to his or her victim, a warning will sound.
Officials say the goal is to ensure victim safety, as well as make sure a defendant complies with any no contact orders.
The most dangerous offenders would not be eligible for this program.
Authorities say it is targeted toward defendants who are of a medium risk, but who would not necessarily qualify for high bail conditions that would keep them in jail.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Ramsey County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AAA Report Shows Decline in Gas Prices from 2013
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Northfield Police Looking for Shooting Suspect Believed to be Threat to Public
- Sheriff: No Prior Criminal History for Mendota Heights Man Killed in Alleged Home Invasion
- Firefighters Battle Blaze at Tire Business in South St. Paul
- Volunteers Needed to Beautify Spiral Bridge in South St. Paul
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Wirth Lake in Golden Valley Removed from Minnesota's Impaired Waters List
- Maple Grove Man who Lost Legs in 2013 Boating Accident is Back on Water
- N. Mpls. Community Celebrates Life of Terrell Mayes on Would-Be 6th Birthday
- Man Hospitalized after Stabbing in South Mpls.; Police Look for Suspect
- 16-Year-Old Charged in Shooting Death of Minneapolis Man